Dear Young Professional,
I am curious what your feelings are about confidence? Do you think people are born with it? Or can someone develop confidence?
Let’s be real, confidence is attractive, addictive, desired. We have all been in a situation when someone walks into a room confident, there’s an energy around them. It can be a quiet energy or a buzz of energy but there is energy.
Your thoughts about confidence are powerful, shape them. Don’t be fooled into thinking that mere confidence is what attributes to someone’s success. Confidence is the engine that gives you the courage to try something, say something and risk possible failure.
Build confidence and shape your thoughts by:
- Focusing on your strengths and talents (Name 3-5 right now!)
- Don’t exaggerate weaknesses
- View them as opportunities to learn and grow
- Stop comparing…your journey is unique, and everyone has a personalized measurement stick
- Remember no one can make you feel inferior without your permission
- Speak/Think in the language of affirmation
- I will ____
- I can ____
- I am ____
Everyday I get to look at the personalized affirmation board a teammate at work made for me. If you don’t have time to make an affirmation board, use your commute time to work to list 3-5 affirmations and say them out loud!
Think confident and be confident. The more you practice the more you gain. Think of confidence as an accessory that goes with everything. PUT IT ON AND WEAR IT PROUD!